[pulseaudio-discuss] Revisiting raop2 patches

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Oct 24 17:58:44 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2016-10-23 at 21:48 -0500, Hajime Fujita wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is to revisit the raop2 support patches for module-raop-sink, to
> extend the existing module-raop-sink so it supports much recent protocol
> (and thus much broader range of devices.)
>
> General background can be seen here:
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2016-January/025322.html
>
> I truly understand that there's a huge shortage in manpower to review the
> patches, and that raop is not a high priority thing in the project.
>
> However, there does exist many users who have been waiting for this feature
> to become available in PulseAudio, and actually some of them have been
> using this patch for daily basis. Having these patches upstreamed will
> surely benefit these users and make PulseAudio more competent software
> product.

Yes, it would be great to get this stuff merged. Thanks for not giving up!

> If there's anything I can help to make the review process easier and faster
> (other than rebasing the existing patches to the latest master), please do
> let me know.

The problem is that only me and Arun do reviews. I'm currently
concentrating on fixing the release blocker bugs, and Arun has been
busy with non-PA things lately (I hope that won't be a permanent
situation). After we get the release candidate out, I can start doing
reviews again, but I can't promise any particular timeline for
reviewing your patches. I can only promise not to forget about them.

It would be great to have more people reviewing patches, but I don't
know how to acquire those people. I don't think the reviews have to
necessarily be done by someone with a title of "maintainer", but on the
other hand, giving much trust to drive-by contributors seems risky
too...

If you (or anyone else reading this!) would be interested in becoming a
regular reviewer, I think we can make that happen.