[pulseaudio-discuss] RME Babyface Pro: How do I get pulseaudio to see output 3/4?

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Oct 28 12:40:06 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-10-28 at 00:49 -0400, Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2016-10-28 00:09:32, Allan Wind wrote:
> > [General]
> > auto-profiles = no
>
> Setting that to "yes" does the trick, and my conf now loads.  The
> error messages are a bit cryptic, and probably not a good idea
> that you have to look in syslog.  With this conf:
>
> [General]
> auto-profiles = yes
>
> [Mapping All]
> channel-map = left,right,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7,aux8,aux9,aux10,aux11
> device-strings = hw:%f
> direction = input
> priority = 1
>
> [Mapping Headphone]
> channel-map = aux0,aux1,left,right,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7,aux8,aux9,aux10,aux11
> device-strings = hw:%f
> direction = output
> priority = 2
>
> [Mapping Speaker]
> channel-map = left,right,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7,aux8,aux9,aux10,aux11
> device-strings = hw:%f
> direction = output
> priority = 1
>
> The resulting Headphone profile now works as expected with output
> only being sent to the headphone output.  With the Speaker
> profile, however, I get output both on my speakers and headphone.
> Anything in my conf that explains that or is that hardware
> (monitoring)?

The configuration seems fine, so I'd guess it's the hardware. When you
originally only had a stereo sink, did this problem not occur? If you
change the Speaker mapping to only have two channels, does the problem
go away?

You can use this to test how direct alsa access works:

    speaker-test --device=hw:X --channels=12

That will open the device with 12 channels and play noise to each
channel separately.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk