[pulseaudio-discuss] Notification on default sink changes

Philipp Kern pkern at debian.org
Fri Oct 28 12:48:32 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have a problem on my Cinnamon desktop where I unplug my USB soundcard,
plug it back in, PulseAudio changes the default sink back to the headset
in the background and the DE does not notice that fact. So volume
control is temporarily broken until I open the Sound Settings and set
the default device to the one PulseAudio is already using. All devices
are listed there because NewSink is emitted just fine.

I tried to read through the PulseAudio source code and it seems that
DEFAULT_SINK_CHANGED is not actually emitted as an event outside of
PulseAudio right now, although it exists as a core hook. Is there a
particular reason for that? Would it make sense to expose this over
DBus/PA's native protocol?

Kind regards and thanks
Philipp Kern