[pulseaudio-discuss] Multi Workstation Single Home Directory NFS Mount

rjs fft2048 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 20:53:51 UTC 2016

Tanu,
Thanks for your response and good troubleshooting ideas.
You wrote:
>First of all, home-directory-on-NFS *should* be supported just fine.
>The whole purpose of using the /tmp/pulse directories is to make this
>use case work.
Here's what I found.
The first place I looked was in the ~/.pulse directory and found an
interesting
problem. No matter how many of our workstations I logged in to, there was
still
only one set of asdfasdfasdf:xxx files, hence only one asdfasdfasdf:runtime
link.
So, when I logged onto a workstation, it was the only one that had a valid
link to
a /tmp/pulse-yyyy directory! This is the case for every user. I now suspect
this is
an operating environment issue and not directly related to Pulse. Another
data point is that I went to another network I work on with the same Linux
environment; however, it just has a simple NFS mount for my home
directory.  On that network, I had many host ID entries in my
~/.pulse area.
I need to find out more about how our user accounts/directories are
managed, I believe
there is something having to do with LDAP involved. I am wondering which
machine belongs
to the ID I find in everyones ~/.pulse directory.
Do you know how that ID is generated.
One other thing.  I was successfully able to operate in system-wide daemon
mode, so
that is a viable option.  However, I had a problem automatically launching
it from
/etc/rc.d/rc.local at boot time.  I used the same command that I used as
root from the command line.
In /var/log/messages it reported that it could not create a /var/run/pulse
directory, which
already exists and is owned by pulse.  Not sure why it works from the
command line
as root by not at boot.
Thanks again for your help.
Bob