[pulseaudio-discuss] problem with volume control messed up

Ernest Adrogué eac at openmailbox.org
Thu Sep 29 23:17:11 UTC 2016

Hi there,

I have a problem with the volume control.  Music plays through the speakers
as usual, no problem here.

The default mixer only has one control and has no effect at all.  I can
change the volume with alsamixer after selecting the card's mixer instead of
the default one which is PA's.

In pavucontrol I see that the output device is labelled "Headphones" so the
mixer is probably changing the headphones output volume.  There is no other
port, only Headphones.  However this card has no headphones output as far as
I know.

Then I noticed that if I change the profile from Analog stereo output to
"Analog surround 5.1" then the port in output devices changes to "Analog
output" and then the volume control does affect the speakers volume.

What can I do to fix the analog stereo profile so that the volume control
works?

I use the standard configuration from my distribution, which is Debian, and
the volume control was working fine until recently.

Thank you.