[pulseaudio-discuss] Switching bluetooth profile internally

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 09:19:50 UTC 2017

On Friday 11 August 2017 11:02:15 Georg Chini wrote:
> On 11.08.2017 10:09, Sathish Narasimman wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I want to switch the bluetooth profile using a dbus signal.
> >
> >I was successful to send the dbus signal and process it in pulseaudio.
> >
> >But unable to figure out how to use set_profile within PA.
> >
> >Please help to understand the pulseaudio. I need to switch the profile
> >from a2dp to hsp and vice versa.
> >

> >Thanks,
> >Sathish N
>
> Hi,
>
> I wonder what you are trying to achieve. You can use pactl or pacmd
> to change the card profile manually and module-bluetooth-policy will
> automatically switch profile for you in some situations See here:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Modules/#index36h3

Also in pulseaudio 10 module-bluetooth-policy would automatically switch
between a2dp and hsp if VOIP application want to record sound from
microphone:

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Notes/10.0/#automaticallyswitchbluetoothprofilewhenusingvoipapplications

And starting with pulseaudio 11 (not released) module-bluetooth-policy
could be configured with parameter auto_switch=2 (not by default) to
automatically switch between a2dp and hsp based on heuristic, see:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/?id=3397127f0045d3c130b59e59b4ce6b3601b239b9

So why do you want to manually switch between hsp and a2dp mode? Is not
this auto_switch support enough for you?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com