[pulseaudio-discuss] Issues with tcp sink and JACK sink

Mark Raynsford org.freedesktop at io7m.com
Sun Aug 20 10:41:59 UTC 2017

Hello.

I've been using Pulse's network support for about a year now. My main
desktop machine acts as a server and I pipe the audio from various
devices (laptops, etc) into the server using module-tunnel-sink. I
work on software that produces audio and this setup allows me to have a
single pair of headphones without having to plug everything into a
hardware mixer.

Today, I decided that I was going to give the JACK audio server another
look. The intention is to have JACK be the main audio server on my
machine, and to connect Pulse to it as a client. This means that
programs that use JACK natively get a JACK server, and programs that
only speak Pulse (or ALSA) get transparently piped into the JACK server.

I'm on Arch Linux. I installed the jack2 and pulseaudio-jack packages,
followed the instructions, and everything is working correctly.
pavucontrol shows a "PulseAudio JACK Sink" that Pulse programs use
without issue. JACK applications work properly. All good!

One problem: My TCP tunnels no longer work. When a device connects to
the Pulse server on my desktop, this is what I see:

>>> list-sink-inputs
1 sink input(s) available.
    index: 10
	driver: <protocol-native.c>
	flags: DONT_MOVE
	state: DRAINED
	sink: 0 <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo>
	volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	        balance 0.00
	muted: no
	current latency: 150.00 ms
	requested latency: 24.99 ms
	sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
	channel map: front-left,front-right
	             Stereo
	resample method: copy
	module: 10
	client: 15 <pulseaudio>
	properties:
		media.name = "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo for someone at pseudechis"
		media.role = "abstract"
		application.name = "pulseaudio"
		native-protocol.peer = "TCP/IP client from 10.2.21.1:33166"
		native-protocol.version = "32"
		application.id = "org.PulseAudio.PulseAudio"
		application.version = "10.0"
		application.process.id = "19038"
		application.process.user = "someone"
		application.process.host = "pseudechis"
		application.process.binary = "pulseaudio"
		application.language = "en_GB.UTF-8"
		window.x11.display = ":0"
		application.process.machine_id = "b5289f58652b413a8b3b8d465ad7d696"
		module-stream-restore.id = "sink-input-by-media-role:abstract"

In the Playback section of pavucontrol, there's an entry for
"Built-in Audio Analog Stereo for someone at pseudechis" and the small drop-down menu
that is supposed to allow me to select an output lists
"Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" and "Jack sink (PulseAudio JACK Sink)". Unfortunately,
trying to select the JACK sink from the menu has no effect - the output stays
as "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo". In effect I get silence, as the audio from the
client is not being sent to the JACK sink. I'm not familiar with the internal workings
of Pulse, but I'm guessing the DONT_MOVE flag has something to do with this.

What's the correct way to get my network audio working again?

--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com