[pulseaudio-discuss] combined sink does not work with pulseaudio-dlna

Ivan Kanis pulseaudio at kanis.fr
Wed Feb 15 16:25:55 UTC 2017

February, 07 at 10:05 Ivan wrote:

> February, 06 at 13:24 Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 09:44 +0100, Ivan Kanis wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to get sound output from the speaker plugged on my computer
>>> and the Chromecast audio in the living room.
>>>
>>> I have launched the program pulseaudio-dlna and I can hear audio on the
>>> Chromecast when I select it as playback.
>>>
>>> Next I run pacmd and type the following:
>>>
>>> load-module module-combine sink_name=combined
>>> slaves=Chromecastaudio4076_chromecast,alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
>>>
>>> In pavucontrol I select the combined sink as playback. I can only
>>> hear sound on the computer's speaker.
>>>
>>> I have attached two screen shots. What's interesting in the output
>>> devices tab is that there is activity in the Chromecast sink, the blue
>>> line is moving as the music is playing.
>>>
>>> Does anyone knows why it's not working as expected? Is there a different
>>> way to make it work?
>>
>> It looks like you've set up it right and it should work... You could
>> check that the virtual stream between the combine sink and the
>> chromecast sink isn't muted. To do that, select "All Streams" in the
>> "Show" drop-down list at the bottom of the "Playback" tab in
>> pavucontrol.
>
> Hi Tanu,
>
> I have checked it is not muted. I have tried to mute and unmute just in
> case, but still no sound on the Cromecast :( I have attached a snapshot
> showing all streams.
>
> Ivan

Hi Tanu,

The author of the dlna plugin has told me that the combined sink feature
is not implemented in his module. He has given me an alternative with
the loopback module:

load-module module-loopback sink=alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo

Then pickup the loopback on the Chromecast. It works but, as expected,
it is not in sync.

I am now looking for a way to delay the local playback but I can't
figure out how.

I tried latency_msec=3000 but it set's the latency on the Chromecast.

I am sure it can be done but my pulse audio-fu is very limited, any help
will gratefully appreciated.

Have a nice day,

Ivan

--
Parting is all we know of heaven, And all we need of hell.
    -- Emily Dickinson