[pulseaudio-discuss] problem with webrtc and pulseaudio

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Feb 23 12:30:06 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 19:39 -0300, Fatima Castiglione Maldonado 发
wrote:
> Done.
> I have run both browsers and, while doing each audio test, executed pactl
> list. Output is attached for both test instances.

Chrome and firefox use the same latency configuration and the same
sample rate, so neither of those is the problem.

Both seem to configure 8 ms latency, although the real source latency
seems to be much higher (180 ms). This discrepancy doesn't seem to
cause problems for firefox, though.

Here's a random thing to try: run chrome from the terminal, and set the
PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC environment variable. That should override the
latency that chrome configures.

In case you're not familiar with how to run a command with an
environment variable set, simply add the environment variable to the
beginning of the command, like this:

PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=16 chrome

You can experiment with different values.

At this point I don't expect this problem to get solved, but if you
want to still continue debugging, you could try one more time to get a
PulseAudio log. Based on the earlier experiments it looks like chrome
doesn't create a recording stream if you start pulseaudio manually, but
you can enable verbose logging of the automatically started pulseaudio
instance by putting this to ~/.config/pulse/client.conf:

extra-arguments = -vvvv --log-target=newfile:/tmp/pulseverbose.log --log-time=1

The log files are in the /tmp directory. You might see more than
one file (pulseverbose.log, pulseverbose.log.1, pulseverbose.log.2,
etc). In case you don't know which file is the right one, attach all of
them.

(By the way, it's very weird if the recording stream creation really
succeeds or fails depending on whether you started pulseaudio manually
or not. There should be no difference in behaviour.)

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk