[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio hangs in rewinding process

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Jan 26 05:55:03 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-01-23 at 05:24 +0000, Mahendran, Dandapani (D.) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [I am resending this mail with reduced content/log]
>
> Using "module-null-sink" we face the following issue of pulseaudio
> getting stuck in rewinding process.
> The trigger point is that the input audio stream is stopped for a
> short interval (~200ms).
> When pulse audio is in this state, output audio either starts to
> stutter or completely muted, though the input audio stream is normal.
>
> When I looked into pulseaudio archives, the issue we are facing looks
> similar to
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2013-November/019230.html
>
> Is there a solution for this problem already available?  Or is there
> a way to disable rewinding?
> Once the pulse gets into this rewind loop, it never come out until
> the connection is killed and started all over again, this can be seen
> in the attached log.
>
> Any support on this would be of great help.  Thank you.

The rewinds are triggered by application stream underruns. It looks
like the client doesn't keep the stream buffer fill level high enough.
I'm not sure disabling rewinds would help much. That said, I would
really like to have the option to disable rewinds. It's not possible at
the moment, so patches welcome. It might be pretty simple to do that:
just modify pa_sink_set_max_rewind() to not do anything if the option
is set (the initial max_rewind value is always 0).

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk