[pulseaudio-discuss] Play audio files of high sample rates without hassle

Milan Oravec moravec at ukf.sk
Fri Jan 27 13:01:04 UTC 2017

Hi, I'm trying to setup my HTPC Linux box as HQ/"Audiophile" player. By
default pulseaudio re-samples all played files that don't match default
or alternate sample rate to those rates which is not appreciated in this
scenario.

After some trial and investigation found reason for not working original
patch of high sample rates playback without re-sampling posted here:

  https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/124196/

This patch alternates src/pulsecore/source.c, but for successful
implementation src/pulsecore/sink.c need to be patched too.

With this implementation are files with high sample rates played with
their original sample rates without re-sampling if your HW supports
media encoded sample rates.

I've successfully tested 44.1k,48k,88.2k,96k,176.4k and 192k flac files
played with VLC on SundBlasterX G5 DAC.

Regards,

Milan

s pozdravom