[pulseaudio-discuss] About extra A2DP codecs support in bluetooth module

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 11:37:44 UTC 2017

On Thursday 06 July 2017 11:26:58 Qu Wenruo wrote:
> At 07/06/2017 04:33 PM, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 July 2017 01:54:10 Qu Wenruo wrote:
> >> Is there any license problem blocking pulseaudio to implement
> >> such codec?
> >
> > All patents for MP3 already expired, so there should not be any
> > license problem.
>
> Well, I'm more interested to see AAC codec support.
>
> As my Bose QC35 only supports AAC and SBC, no MP3 support.

In some countries software patents do not exists at all.

Anyway, if there would be support for other audio codec I guess
pulseaudio would just use another (system) library for encoding. And
would not implement encoder/decoder itself.

Therefore I think patent/license question would be moved to (system)
library for encoding (ffmpeg?, gstreamer?, etc...).

Now, when you open question about bluetooth A2DP codecs, more interested
would be state of APT-X codec/support.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com