[pulseaudio-discuss] input/output jack seems to be not handled by PulseAudio

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Jul 24 18:58:24 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-07-24 at 13:31 +0200, Alex ARNAUD wrote:
> Le 20/07/2017 à 16:48, Tanu Kaskinen a écrit :
> > > On Debian 8, with Linux kernel 4.9 and PulseAudio 7 only one entry work
> > > for input and one work for output. If I change the jack cable of plug
> > > entry I noticed "unplugged" state on PavuControl.
> > >

> > > What I can do to chose myself which one I want for output and which one
> > > for input ?
> >
> > Ubuntu has a pop-up GUI for selecting the device type if the jack
> > supports multiple types of devices but isn't able to automatically
> > detect the type. I don't think Debian has that GUI.
>
> Is it possible to perform the same thing from pavucontrol or the
> command-line ?

There's no other tool for directly saying "this is what I plugged in",
but it might be possible to emulate what the Ubuntu GUI does. As I
said, I don't remember the details, but I'll go now and read the
discussion that I linked to in my previous message...

...ok, so it's not very complicated: if you plug in headphones or a
headset, make sure to set the source port to "headset-mic". You can do
that with pactl (see "man pactl") or pavucontrol. Here's the command:

    pactl set-source-port SOURCE headset-mic

Replace SOURCE with the source name. You can get the source name with

    pactl list sources | grep Name

The source that starts with "alsa_input.pci" is the correct one
(hopefully there's only one PCI sound card in the system).

If you plug in a microphone, make sure to set the source port to
"headphone-mic".

This advice of course works only if the source actually has the
"headset-mic" and "headphone-mic" ports. My not-very-educated guess is
that if a desktop/laptop type computer has this kind of multi-purpose
jack that can't sense by itself what was plugged in, then these ports
should exist. You can check that with "pactl list sources", the output
will contain a list of all ports that each source has.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk