[pulseaudio-discuss] location of pa-equalizer default config and presets

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Jul 26 18:58:07 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 20:42 +0200, Bernhard Landauer wrote:
> On 26.07.2017 11:49, Bernhard Landauer wrote:

> > > I assume you're talking about qpaeq? The presets are and always have
> > > been stored in ~/.config/pulse/equalizer-presets.
> > >

> > Thank you for your reply.
> > Just: If what you say is true, how is it possible when I remove the
> > whole directory ~/.config/pulse that after a reboot launching qpaeq
> > shows still the same settings?
> > Also I found this github repo with some .preset files in readable form
> > - where would they be placed correcty then?
> > https://github.com/rsommerard/pulse-presets Something like this would
> > be ideal for my case.
> > Also: When I save different presets from qpaeq, where can I find them?
>
> I now also made the reverse test: I copied the directory ~/pulse/ to a
> new user's home and then launched qpaeq. It does NOT show the other
> user's config but the default with all controllers in neutral.
> So obviously the settings must be stored in a different location.
> Who can help with this, please?

My answer was based on reading the source code, and it seemed like
module-equalizer-sink stores some database in
~/.config/pulse/equalizer-presets, and based on the file name, that
seemed like the place where the presets live.

I now looked at the contents of the files in
https://github.com/rsommerard/pulse-presets and it's clear that those
preset files aren't used with qpaeq/module-equalizer-sink. The database
that module-equalizer-sink uses is not in text format, but the
rsommerard presets are text files. The files contain the string
"mbeq_1197", which is an identifier for a ladspa eq plugin. Apparently
the presets are meant to be used with some program that sets up module-
ladspa-sink in pulseaudio. I don't know what program that is.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk