[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio fails to start with kernel 4.11, caused by new snd_hdmi_lpe_audio module)

Arun Raghavan arun at arunraghavan.net
Tue Mar 21 09:04:25 UTC 2017

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017, at 02:26 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 21-03-17 08:54, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Mar 2017, at 11:10 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> >> No idea, and I had still no time to check (still processing the
> >> pile of pending mails and other bugs :).  Let me add PA guys to Cc.
> >
> > Not sure if anyone here has the hardware and I haven't seen any
> > complaints either -- having a backtrace (or even location of the assert)
> > would be a good start.
>
> Ok, this is weird. Since you were asking for more info I tried to
> collect a backtrace / logs. But what is happening is that after
> the snd_hdmi_lpe_audio module loads, pulse does its thing and
> then exits with a message of "killed" in gdb / on the terminal
> from which I started it. I don't get a chance to get a backtrace
> in gdb ...  So this does feel like a kernel bug to me, normally
> this sort of "killed" behavior is seen on some kernel oopses...
>
> But dmesg is free of any oopses ?
>
> Anyways here is a log of pulseaudio -v first without the
> hdmi module and then the module gets probed. Where the log
> abruptly ends is where I got the "Killed" message on the
> terminal.

That's the kernel killing of PA for exceeding RT limits (there's a patch
in the timers tip that'll now provide an error in dmesg).

It sounds possible that there is some call to the ALSA API that we are
making that results in the driver blocking for long enough to exceed the
RT limit. You can verify this by setting 'realtime-scheduling = no' in
/etc/pulse/daemon.conf and then starting PA.

If that works, perf will likely be able to show you what's blocking.

-- Arun