[pulseaudio-discuss] [alsa-devel] pulseaudio fails to start with kernel 4.11, caused by new snd_hdmi_lpe_audio module)

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Thu Mar 23 03:16:52 UTC 2017

On 3/21/17 2:56 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Using 1.0 fragments of size 352832 bytes
> (2000.18ms), buffer size is 352832 bytes (2000.18ms)
> I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Time scheduling watermark is 20.00ms
> I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Driver does not support hardware volume
> control, falling back to software volume control.
> I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Driver does not support hardware mute
> control, falling back to software mute control.
> I: [alsa-sink-HdmiLpeAudio] core-util.c: Successfully enabled SCHED_RR
> scheduling for thread, with priority 5.
> I: [alsa-sink-HdmiLpeAudio] alsa-sink.c: Starting playback.
> I: [alsa-sink-HdmiLpeAudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HWSYNC
> failed (-32)

Humm, single period and hw_sync failed, this could be testing the
robustness of the single-period code and its mapping on multiple DMA
descriptors? I haven't looked at the alsa module in eons but can't the
number of periods be forced to two with module parameters while keeping
the timer-based schedulng?