[pulseaudio-discuss] [alsa-devel] pulseaudio fails to start with kernel 4.11, caused by new snd_hdmi_lpe_audio module)

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Mar 29 12:59:45 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-03-29 at 07:21 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 22:10:28 +0200,
> Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2017-03-24 at 23:01 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > So is this the likely cause of the RT code killing pa, or do you
> > > still need me to gather perf output ?
> >
> > The perf output would be interesting.
> >
> > It's still unclear to me if the hwsync thing is a bug in alsa, or
> > something that pulseaudio should deal with. If there's no further input
> > from the alsa developers, would you be able to test a pulseaudio patch
> > if I write one? First I'd like to check whether the hwsync error
> > happens inside snd_pcm_start(), and if so, does the error get reported
> > in the snd_pcm_start() return value. If snd_pcm_start() returns an
> > error, pulseaudio should probably react to it, although I'm not sure
> > how. It would be easy to just remove the sink if there's an error, but
> > I understood Takashi's comment so that it might be an intermittent
> > error that depends on the graphics state, and if that's the case,
> > pulseaudio would have to retry when the graphics state changes, but I
> > don't know what kind of event could be used to get a notification about
> > the state change.
>
> Does PA really need to start streaming at its invocation time?
> The crash happens when PA gets started via desktop autostart, and at
> this moment, the HDMI graphics state is possible disconnected before
> xrandr setup.  The HDMI connection state should have been informed /
> notified to PA via the jack interface, so it should be possible to
> judge beforehand.
>
> Or it might be something wrong in the driver side regarding the jack
> state processing?

I had a closer look at the PA log that was posted earlier. It looks
like the device numbering is non-standard. Trying to open any of the
hdmi:1,x devices fails. hw:1 can be opened, and pulseaudio assumes that
it's an analog stereo device. Jack detection isn't going to work in
this situation, because pulseaudio doesn't know that it should be
looking at the hdmi jacks.

Can the driver be fixed to use the standard HDMI device numbers?

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk