[pulseaudio-discuss] [alsa-devel] pulseaudio fails to start with kernel 4.11, caused by new snd_hdmi_lpe_audio module)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Mar 29 13:26:34 UTC 2017

On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 15:14:19 +0200,
Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-03-29 at 15:06 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 14:59:45 +0200,
> > Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> > > I had a closer look at the PA log that was posted earlier. It looks
> > > like the device numbering is non-standard. Trying to open any of the
> > > hdmi:1,x devices fails. hw:1 can be opened, and pulseaudio assumes that
> > > it's an analog stereo device. Jack detection isn't going to work in
> > > this situation, because pulseaudio doesn't know that it should be
> > > looking at the hdmi jacks.
> > >
> > > Can the driver be fixed to use the standard HDMI device numbers?
> >
> > Hmm, it might be the missing hdmi PCM definition?
> >
> > The latest alsa-lib git already contains the card config for HDMI LPE
> > audio, and this might help.  (Though, I thought I still saw the same
> > PA problem even with the card config.  Unfortunately I can't access
> > the box with the DP audio right now, so others may help more quickly
> > than me...)
> >
> > Can anyone confirm that you have the latest alsa-lib git installed and
> > whether the PA issue is fixed or not?
>
> If the alsa-lib configuration just maps hdmi:1,0 to hw:1,0, then I
> would expect this problem to persist. If hw:1,0 can be opened,
> pulseaudio will think that there's an analog stereo output. If hdmi:1,0
> works too, then pulseaudio will think that there are two separate
> outputs, and if the hdmi jack state says that hdmi is not available,
> pulseaudio will use what it thinks is an analog output.

Aha, that explains.

> If it's not possible to change the device numbering in the driver, this
> will have to be worked around in pulseaudio somehow (pulseaudio
> shouldn't try to use hw:1,0 on this hardware).

Well, it's not impossible to change in the driver side, but I hesitate
to do so, since it's not right, IMO.

In general, the PCM device#0 isn't always for an analog output,
although it's de facto standard, as most boards have both analog and
HDMI/DP.  For HD-audio, we even kept the constant PCM dev# even if no
analog output is present; but it's just to make the configuration
easier, and it doesn't mean that PCM dev#0 is for the analog I/O.

Takashi