[pulseaudio-discuss] Detecting when data source disappears?

Georg Chini georg at chini.tk
Wed May 17 15:26:47 UTC 2017

On 17.05.2017 04:28, Steven Wawryk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been reading up and experimenting on both the simple and async
> APIs.  In one experiment, I used a CLI file that sets up a set of
> module-sine modules with output remapped by module-remap-sink modules
> to a stream fed to a module-null-sink module.
>
> I then wrote 2 programs, one using the simple API and the other the
> async API to read date from the module-null-sink monitor source and
> write the data to file (both based on examples to provide "parec"
> functionality).  Then I could unload either all the module-sine
> modules or all the module-remap-sink modules to interrupt the data
> source to the module-null-sink module.
>
> Both programs gave the same result, which I don't completely understand.
>
> The issues I've found are:
>
> 1. After the data source is gone, the program continues to write data
> to file.  There doesn't seem to be any way to detect a stream of
> "zero" data using the APIs.

That is expected behavior. null-sink.monitor is not different from other
sources, which means
if there is no input to the null-sink, it will generate silence. It's
like recording from an unplugged
mic or line-in input.

> 2. If I run it for 20 seconds, with 10 seconds of sinusoidal data
> followed by 10 seconds of null data, the file ends up with anything
> from 30 to 40 seconds worth of data in it.
>
> 3. The files written from case 2, above, show the initial sinusoidal
> data as expected, but then, following data stream interruption, about
> 5 to 10 seconds of switching back and forth between segments of
> sinusoidal data and null data, before finally settling to null data
> only till the end of file.

Did you test if the same happens with parec? If yes, are there any log
messages
during the time?