[pulseaudio-discuss] Dummy Windows driver to send audio data to pulseaudio server

Laurențiu Nicola lnicola at dend.ro
Sun May 21 14:12:14 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm a bit reluctant to write about it, but a while ago I wrote a Windows
driver to send audio as RTP to a PulseAudio receiver. It worked,
although it had some rough edges like not waiting for network sends when
shutting down, so if you disabled the driver while playing audio it
would crash. You also had to manually build and install it, due to the
driver signing requirements on x64.
While it was workable, I needed it for streaming over WiFi and the
latency was a bit too large for my taste. I never tried it over wired
Ethernet and settled for a mpd server instead.
My recommendation would be to look for a user-space application that
records from "StereoMix" and streams that. I don't think the latency
concerns are make bothering with a driver worth it.
Regards,
Laurentiu