[pulseaudio-discuss] Monitor sources are silent when recording over LAN

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sat Oct 7 17:17:22 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-09-27 at 11:07 +0300, Martin Laakso wrote:
> Other sources work fine over network, but I tried to record monitor
> sources of several computers (Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.10, PulseAudio 10.0),
> and none worked, so this isn't an isolated issue. Locally the monitor
> sources record fine. pacmd list-sources indicates that the tunneled
> sources are running and not muted.
>
> If this is an unknown bug, how can I try to find out more?
>
> If this is a feature, is there a workaround?

It's an unknown bug as far as I can tell. Does the tunnel source
produce silence, or is it just stuck? If you don't know how to tell,
you can for example run

    parecord --device=TUNNEL_SOURCE_NAME > test.wav

for a few seconds, and see if test.wav size is more than 44 bytes (the
wav header is 44 bytes).

Does this affect also direct connections over the network (i.e. not
using the tunnel module)? Try this:

    PULSE_SERVER=REMOTE_MACHINE_ADDRESS parecord --device=MONITOR_SOURCE_NAME > test.wav

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk