[pulseaudio-discuss] How to control latency with CLI?

Steven Wawryk stevenw at acres.com.au
Mon Oct 9 09:22:43 UTC 2017

Thanks for the response Tanu.

On 08/10/17 03:30, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

>>> If you're seeing 80 second latencies, I think the only place in which
>>> that amount could accumulate is module-loopback. PulseAudio 11.0 has a
>>> big improvement in the module-loopback latency regulation, so I
>>> recommend upgrading.
>> Hi Tanu,
>>
>> We've upgraded the I/O board (the platform with the module-loopback) to
>> use PulseAudio 11.1, but seem to be getting the same result.  Also tried
>> adding the latency parameters that are used by module-loopback,
>> module-alsa-sink, module-alsa-source and module-rtp-recv.  We've even
>> observed latencies of several minutes.
>>
>> Using pactl list sinks/sources/sink-inputs/source-outputs, the biggest
>> latencies listed are in the tens of thousands of usec, so there doesn't
>> seem to anything that accounts for it.  This is true on the workstation
>> too.  I can't work out where the big latency is added.
>>
>> There are some odd messages in the log (with -v).  I've attached the
>> compressed, filtered log ("grep pulse"):
>>
>> * module-loopback seems to be "dropping" a lot of audio
>> ("module-loopback.c: Dropping 920177108 usec of audio from queue") and
>> "adding" a lot of silence ("module-loopback.c: Adding 920174784 usec of
>> silence to queue") to the "queue".
> If module-loopback is adding 920 seconds of silence to its buffer, that
> seems like the likely reason for the extremely high latencies. The code
> that calculates this number seems to be getting garbage from some
> input. I suggest adding more logging to the module-loopback code to
> find the garbage source.
I've attached a compressed, filtered log with -vvvv supplied to
PulseAudio.  There's nothing that jumps out at me to help find the
source of the garbage.

>> * sample rates are set to 8000 throughout to eliminate resampling as
>> much as possible, but there are runs of messages of type
>> "module-rtp-recv.c: New rate of 8871 Hz not within 2‰ of 8852 Hz,
>> forcing smaller adjustment" with ever-growing deviations from 8000Hz,
>> possibly suggesting some kind of numerical instability. Sometimes it
>> outputs "module-rtp-recv.c: Sample rates too different, not adjusting
>> (8000 vs. 10014)."
> The log messages suggest that the RTP sender is sending too fast, but I
> can't say for sure what's really happening.
Both sender and receiver should be 8000Hz (but obviously not
synchronised).  I'll try to verify there's no clock issue on the
embedded platform.

>> * every now and then, there's a "core.c: We are idle, quitting..."
>> message, and the daemon shuts down and restarts.
> How are you starting PulseAudio? This happens when running PulseAudio
> in the per-user mode and there are no clients for a while. You can pass
> --exit-idle-time=-1 to disable this. There's also an option in
> daemon.conf for doing the same. Normally module-systemd-logind is used
> to prevent the daemon from exiting during the user login session, or
> module-console-kit on systems that don't use systemd.
Thanks.  I will disable this.

>> * setting nice and RT scheduling seems to fail "core-util.c: Failed to
>> acquire high-priority scheduling: Permission denied" and "core-util.c:
>> Failed to acquire real-time scheduling: Success".
> Apparently your system doesn't allow PulseAudio to reconfigure nice
> values less than 0.
>
> The error message about real-time scheduling seems to suggest that
> there's some bug in set_scheduler(), since it doesn't set errno
> correctly in your case.
Looking into this, the user that's running this isn't in the pulse-rt
group and pulseaudio binary isn't setuid root.  I'll fix this and give
it another go.