[pulseaudio-discuss] ISSUE : POOR AUDIO QUALITY AND HIGH LATENCY WHILE USING HFP

Vimal Babu Vimal.Babu at nestgroup.net
Thu Oct 12 11:26:13 UTC 2017

ISSUE : POOR AUDIO QUALITY AND HIGH LATENCY WHILE USING HFP

We are using Bluetooth HFP Configuration with Pulse Audio, BlueZ and oFono components and facing issues of poor Audio high latency.
Using HFP we are able to receive and transmit voice (BlueZ stack is running in EVK and a mobile is paired to it. From EVK, over BT we are making call to other Mobile).
At the reception part (Mobile to EVK ) the audio quality is poor but no latency is there, but voice transmission part (EVK to Mobile)there is a high latency of 30-40 sec to get the audio which is not desirable.

Is these issues related to configuration part of pulse audio, anyone please guide with proper configuration method of pulse audio?

Configuration details in EVK

*         Bluez (version is 5.37)

*         Pulseaudio (version is -8.0)

*         Bluetooth Chip is in HCI mode

Steps done

*         $ bluetoothctl  // scanned, paired, trusted,connected the mobile phone to our device

*         $ pactl list // we can see bluez.source and sink

*         Using ofono telephony service we have made call to other mobile

*         Ring sound started to hear in our local speaker in EVK, when we attended the called at the receiver end (Mobile).

We are facing two issue, they are the following

*         Bluez.source to alsa sink (local speaker) the sound quality is poor.

*         USB MIC(local mic) to Bluez.sink, we have observed a latency of about 30-40 seconds for the audio.

Confidentiality Statement / Disclaimer : This message and any attachments is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient. It may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use, dissemination or modification is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately then delete it from all your systems, and do not copy, use or print. Internet communications are not secure and it is the responsibility of the recipient to make sure that it is virus/malicious code exempt.

The company/sender cannot be responsible for any unauthorized alterations or modifications made to the contents. If you require any form of confirmation of the contents, please contact the company/sender. The company/sender is not liable for any errors or omissions in the content of this message.