[pulseaudio-discuss] No rule to make target `libdbus-util.lo', needed by `libdbus-util.la'

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Oct 30 11:38:43 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-10-26 at 14:45 +0530, namittal at codeaurora.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to make a new module for pulseaudio. I am following
> instructions here
>
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/Developer/Modules/

Those instructions should be removed or updated. The build instructions
are bad.

> I added following lines in src/makefile.am as mentioned in given page.
>
> if ABC
> modlibexec_LTLIBRARIES += \
>                 libdbus-util.la \
>                 module-abc.la
> endif
>
> module_abc_la_SOURCES = modules/module-abc.c
> module_abc_la_LDFLAGS = -module -avoid-version
> module_abc_la_LIBADD = $(AM_LIBADD) $(DBUS_LIBS) $(GLIB20_LIBS)
> libpulsecore.la
> module_abc_la_CFLAGS = $(AM_CFLAGS) $(DBUS_CFLAGS) $(GLIB20_CFLAGS)

You don't need to add DBUS_LIBS, GLIB20_LIBS, DBUS_CFLAGS or
GLIB20_CFLAGS for your module (unless you really use D-Bus or GLib in
your module).

> the following line is giving this error
>
> libdbus-util.la \
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `libdbus-util.lo', needed by
> `libdbus-util.la'.  Stop.
> Any insights on
>
> libdbus-util.la \
> what this does/ is it important or how to resolve given error is
> appreciated.

modlibexec_LTLIBRARIES contains all libraries that will be built.
libdbus-util.la is one of those libraries. You shouldn't add libdbus-
util.la to modlibexec_LTLIBRARIES, because it already is added to it
when D-Bus is enabled. Apparently in your build D-Bus is not enabled,
and the build system doesn't know how to build libdbus-util.la, so
compilation fails. I don't know why the instructions contain this part,
it doesn't make any sense.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk