[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio is unable to detect right profile on this system.

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sat Sep 2 10:40:56 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-08-30 at 17:50 +0430, Farhad Mohammadi Majd wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-08-30 at 13:27 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > According to the "pactl list cards" output, you only have headphone
> > and
> > spdif outputs, and headphones are currently not plugged in. Since
> > they're not plugged in, Gnome audio settings doesn't show that output
> > as being available.
> >
> > Is it so that you actually do have headphones plugged in? Or is there
> > some other output that pulseaudio doesn't detect?
> >
> > What does this command print when you have headphones plugged in?
> >
> > while read -r line; do amixer -c0 cget "$line"; done <<< $(amixer -c0
> > controls | grep Jack)
> >
> > The command asks alsa about the jack states. If the jack detection
> > doesn't work in pulseaudio, it's probably an alsa bug.
>
> I have a headset, its headphone jack (3.5mm) is plugged-in, while its
> microphone jack is usually plugged-out. Yes there should be a bug here,
> because one time headphone was detected and I had sound, but when I
> opened GNOME audio settings and clicked on "Output" panel, suddenly
> profile changed to "Digital Stereo (IEC958)" while it was on "Analog".
>
> ==========
>
> ALSA jack states:
>
> > > https://pastebin.com/Vyfm8abz

Is this a desktop machine? Is the headphone jack that you're using in
the computer back panel? Alsa reports that "Front Headphone" is
unplugged, but "Speaker" is plugged in. The sound card on a desktop
machine might report the back panel jack as being meant for speakers,
while expecting that headphones are plugged in to another jack on the
front of the computer case (whether such jack actually exists depends
on the design of the computer case, and if it doesn't exist, the sound
card will just report headphones as unplugged).

I haven't seen alsa presenting a speaker jack before, which is why
PulseAudio ignores it. Try adding this to /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-
mixer/paths/analog-output-speaker.conf:

[Jack Speaker]
required-any = any

That should make a speakers entry appear in the Gnome sound settings.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk