[pulseaudio-discuss] Using PULSE_NAME to override USB audio card names

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Sep 7 12:00:38 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-09-06 at 14:34 -0700, Lucas Rangit Magasweran wrote:
> Hello devs,
>
> Is it okay to use PULSE_NAME in a udev rule to override the card name
> used by PulseAudio? PULSE_NAME is used by
> `module-udev-detect.c:card_change()` but is undocumented.
>
> I found this solution when I needed a way to override the USB audio
> card name created by udev (e.g. ID_ID). Because it contains the USB
> device serial number in the name it is not possible to write a general
> `pacmd <card_name>` that works for all units.

I'm curious, why do you need the same pacmd command work for multiple
sounds cards? The purpose of any identifier is to distinguish between
instances, after all...

> Below is the udev rule I created. It works but I'm wondering if there
> are side effects to no longer having unique card names or not having
> the ID_ID udev property. I tested having multiple identical (except
> the serial number) USB sound cards attached and they work
> simultaneously.

If the cards work simultaneously, surely they have different names, so
you're back to square one? It's not possible to have two cards with the
same name.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk