[pulseaudio-discuss] Horribly choppy sound during bluetooth a2dp playback

Vladimir Lebedev zeronineseven at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 09:57:36 UTC 2017

It looks like the problem was not in PulseAudio but in NanoPi NEO Plus2
itself. The bluetooth is connected via UART(hci_uart driver) and firmware
for ap6212a chip is uploaded on system startup via brcm_patchram_plus
utility (in stock UbuntuCore it's called from /etc/init.d/
brcm_patchram_plus.sh or something like this). According to the thread on
Armbian forum(
https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/4726-ap6212a-bluetooth-audio-streaming-timeouts-in-audio-bus/)
the default baudrate is set quite low. I've modified
brcm_patchram_plus call to include --baudrate 1500000 and after the reboot
the problem with choppy sound was mostly solved. The downside is that now
bluetooth connection is not very stable and there are occasional
bluez/pulseaudio restarts (one per 2-3 hours) but there are no more skips
and I'm happy for now =) Thanks again and sorry for the noise!