[pulseaudio-discuss] Changing the per-process source/sink for a process that is NOT running

Chris Lopes clopes at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 18:19:10 UTC 2017

Hi,
I see here some guidance on how to change the source or sink for a running process (aka move a stream):https://askubuntu.com/a/72076/566303

But is there a way (command line) to change the source and/or sink for a process that either:
1) Has been run in the past but is not currently running ?or2) Has never been run (from PulseAudio's perspective) ?
I guess this assumes the module-stream-restore module is active and actually persisting and restoring the streams on a per application basis, which is something that I would like to keep intact.  In other words I do not want to force apps to always revert to the default.

I see that there is a ...-stream-volumes.tdb in my user config, and I can dump its contents with tdbdump to see the configuration.But I would rather not experiment with editing this .tdb file directly.
Bonus question: It seems that some streams are configured not by process name but by "media role" (source-output-by-media-role), so I would like to be able to change the source or sink for a media role even if there is no application currently running with that role.
Thanks