[pulseaudio-discuss] Revisiting 5.1/7.1 channel positions

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Dec 5 10:29:04 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-12-05 at 15:08 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I've written up a quick analysis of the channel positions we
> currently support, and what I think makes sense:
>
>   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-base/merge_requests/55#note_85318
>
> The summary is that "Rear Left/Right" is currently being used in
> place of what should be "Left/Right Surround", and we do not have any
> channel  position between that position and "Rear Center", which is
> needed for common 7.1 configurations (what would be "Rear Left/Right
> Surround").
>
> To add to this, the PulseAudio channelmap header is incorrect in that
> we say that "Side Left/Right" should correspond to Dolby "Surround
> Left/Right" when they are separate (they are further forward than
> "Surround Left/Right". Yhis can be corrected easily enough as it's
> just a documentation comment.
>
> My proposal is to add a "Rear Left/Right of Center" position to
> represent the missing positions. At the ALSA level, it would
> correspond to RLC/RRC.
>
> Any comments?

If I understood correctly, you're proposing that we should have three
surround channel pairs (side, surround and rear) instead of two (side
and rear). What practical problem would this solve?

I'm aware of the problem that some 5.1 streams use side and some use
rear in their channel map specification (I don't know if there's any
good reason for this), and up until very recently we didn't handle the
side case properly. However, Alexander fixed this:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/73156649e76ac4000931990edcdcb3be31aade7b

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk
https://liberapay.com/tanuk