[pulseaudio-discuss] Odd app behavior with PULSE_PROP="filter.want=echo-cancel"

Raman Gupta rocketraman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 19:08:10 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:21 AM, Georg Chini <georg at chini.tk> wrote:
> On 12.02.2018 20:15, Raman Gupta wrote:
>>
>> When I start Zoiper with PULSE_PROP="filter.want=echo-cancel", it
>> demonstrates some odd behavior. It ends up creating many Echo-Cancel
>> Sink and Source streams, and I am unable to select my USB headset as
>> the source of any of them.
>>
>> I think, based on the discussion around a recent crasher bug I
>> reported, Zoiper is trying to be too clever, without being clever
>> enough, and is actually trying to open up various streams to all of
>> the Pulse Input and Output devices. Is this just a Zoiper issue, or is
>> there something I can do on the Pulse side to solve this?
>>
>> I think one option is load the echo-cancellation module once in
>> /etc/pulse/default.pa and then use the volume control to manually hook
>> up Zoiper to that module.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Raman
>
> Hi,
>
> can't you tell zoiper which devices to use? And can you provide
> a log (beginning when you start zoiper) so that we can see what
> actually happens?
>
> Regards
>              Georg

It looks like going back to a global echo cancellor works better -- PA
allows me to do the expected thing which is to have one echo cancellor
source/sink which I can hook up to a device source/sink. And then hook
up Zoiper to that echo cancellor source/sink.

The reason I don't give Zoiper specific devices to access is that I
don't want to have to configure every application individually -- to
me, this ability is one of the main benefits of PulseAudio.

I'll try and capture a log later when I won't disrupt a bunch of work
by killing the PA daemon and causing my mic to fail in every app that
uses PA (it sucks that this is a problem too).

Regards,
Raman