[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio and espeakup (fwd)

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Wed Jan 3 17:37:46 UTC 2018

Pulseaudio and speakup fight and speakup looses badly.  By fighting I
mean once both run speakup allows for a user to log in then shortly
after that login speech comes out strangled to the point it's no longer
understandable and volume of speech is also decreased.  The
speech-dispatcher package may also be involved in this fight depending
on which accessibility distro you install.  Turning speakup off and
turning speakup back on does not solve this problem either.  If anyone
is interested and has vm space or hard drive space available, you could
download and install slint latest version from sourceforge.net and
install slint with speech enabled and choose console startup rather than
graphical startup to find out directly what in one instance what is
happening.  Just be aware slint is systemv not systemd.  If you want to
see what happens in debian hit the s as a boot parameter on its
installation to install debian with accessibility.  Debian of course has
debian-accessibility at lists.debian.org from which further discussion of
their issue will emanate.  My context for all of this is I'm retired so
have the time needed; I have never seen anything in this life so have
need of screen readers, I find windows too unstable to use in a home
environment without technical support since windows is not a
self-healing system, and I test linux distributions for accessibility
that want to have accessibility or claim to have accessibility and I try
to support the linux accessibility community with reports when I find
things out.