[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio system accessibility notes

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Fri Jan 5 13:14:30 UTC 2018

Some progress here on this end.  For the slint distribution when running
in console mode with speech enabled it helps to edit
/etc/pulse/client.conf and make sure autospawn=no.  When set to yes,
speakup which provides speech sounds very bad very shortly after log in.

On archlinux, I can't use pulseaudio.  Reason is at some random time after
pulseaudio and speakup have worked properly for several hours, the only
thing that's audible on the speakers changes from speech to static.
pulseaudio  -k does not effect the static and neither does a reboot of the
computer after a minute with the computer being powered down.  The only
way I've found to clear this problem on archlinux has been to remove
pulseaudio and all dependencies as well as optional dependencies from the
machine then reboot the machine with a minute powered down.  Unless I can
find some way pulseaudio logs what changes happen during normal operation
and later during abnormal operation I will not be using this package
again.  If some way exists to have pulseaudio do logs in its own files
which do not get removed when pulseaudio gets removed, I'll make the logs
available to any developers interested in fixing this problem.