[pulseaudio-discuss] running pulseaudio on an embedded device with no X as a network sink

Doron Behar doron.behar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 19:44:11 UTC 2018

Well, thanks for your answer Georg, It was really nice of you to respond
because I really felt miserable here and you truly helped me.

First of all, in order to make sure `pulseaudio` is really functional
without X and in system mode, using `paplay` did it.

My problem was that I didn't really expected sound to come from the HDMI
output, while I was connected to a monitor with the HDMI, I saw only one
output sink with the name as when I had no HDMI connected and only the
sink available was the 3.5 jack. It's not only that it had the same
name, the name `alsa_output.platform-soc_audio.analog-mono` so I was
sure the name referred to the analog 3.5 jack output. It seems as if
there's some kind of hardware limitation for the Raspberry-Pi that
doesn't enable multiple output sinks to be available for programs above
the kernel like ALSA and pulseaudio at once.

Oh and just for the record - for anyone who will read this in the
future: This can be done using a bare tty, an attached tmux session
(invoked from a tty) and from an ssh session, it doesn't matter.

Oh and I did had to review again this document:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Network/
Because I forgot to load `module-esound-protocol-tcp`.

Thanks again Georg.