[pulseaudio-discuss] using PulseAudio without D-Bus?

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Jan 11 14:23:47 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 23:22 +0100, Crni Gorac wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 7:47 PM, Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 09:47 +0100, Crni Gorac wrote:
> > > Is it possible to specify somehow in PulseAudio config files that
> > > D-Bus should not be used?  I achieved the effect by commenting out
> > > wondering is it possible to do the same in a more explicit way.
> >
> > It's possible to build PulseAudio without D-Bus support. If PulseAudio
> > has been built with D-Bus support, PulseAudio will use it, there's no
> > option to disable it.
>
> I see, thanks for the clarification.
>
> But if it is obviously able to work even if D-Bus is not present on
> system, why would PulseAudio refuse to start if it's just that some of
> its modules cannot find D-Bus?  Wouldn't it make more sense if in the
> case I described above, any Bluetooth audio devices,
> discoverable/reachable/whatever only through D-Bus, stay inaccessible,
> but PulseAudio still keeps working with other available audio devices?

If bluetooth support is requested in the startup configuration, it
seems appropriate to fail the startup if the request can't be
fulfilled.

How have you ended up in this situation anyway? The bluetooth modules
depend on bluez, so the operating system should install bluez if you
request installation of the pulseaudio bluetooth modules, and bluez
depends on dbus, so if bluez is installed, dbus should be installed
too.

https://liberapay.com/tanuk
https://www.patreon.com/tanuk