[pulseaudio-discuss] Toslink capture looback latency problem

NicoHood pulseaudio-discuss at nicohood.de
Tue Jan 30 02:08:59 UTC 2018

On 01/29/2018 07:48 PM, Georg Chini wrote:
> On 29.01.2018 19:39, NicoHood wrote:

>>> Somehow this still sounds like a sample rate mismatch. (A wild
>>> guess, I do not know how the signal chain works for a TOS-link)
>>> Have you tried setting your card to 48kHz? You can change
>>> default-sample-rate and alternate-sample-rate in daemon.conf
>>> both to 48000 and restart pulse to enforce this.
>>>

>> With 48kHz The sound is working properly now. The problem I got ~~now~~
>> is that there is sound distortion in the recording. -> A reboot fixed
>> that.
>>
>> Is there any negative effect when using 48kHz as default sample rate? Is
>> there a way to configure only the loopback module with this special
>> sample rate? (Sorry, I have no idea how audio works internally). And if
>> there is no other way than configuring the default sample rate, how can
>> is set this as user (without root) if possible?
>>
>> Thanks a lot so far :)
>>
> If the sound card supports it, PA will always use either the default
> or the alternative sample rate, whatever fits the current stream
> better, unless there is already a stream running on the card.
>
> So it should be enough to run module-loopback with rate=48000.
> Don't forget to change the values in daemon.conf back to their
> original values before you try it.

Setting the rate for the loopback module does not give a positive
result. Setting the sample rate with pacat for the SINK works fine
though. This is the command I used:

pacat -r --latency-msec=100 -d alsa_input.pci-0000_01_00.0.iec958-stereo
| pacat -p --latency-msec=100 -d
alsa_output.usb-M-AUDIO_M-Track_Hub-00.analog-stereo --rate=48000

Is this a general bug? Is there a way to change the sample rate for the
sink itself within the loopback module? I am still wondering why this
happens, as I can capture any other input without changing the sink
sample rate.

If i set the source to 48000 and the sink to 44100 it does not work. I
have no idea why. Any ideas?