[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth aptX codec

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 17:44:39 UTC 2018

сб, 7 июл. 2018 г. в 19:08, Pali Rohár <pali.rohar at gmail.com>:

> On Saturday 07 July 2018 09:39:53 Arun Raghavan wrote:
> > > This is a good idea to let external service to do codec-specific
> > > functions... I agree that it simplify pulseaudio code and other things
> > > (like proving new codec by external library -- if properly implemented),
> > > but in bluetooth context we should look at questions:
> > >
> > > 1) Has gstreamer support for SBC codec?
> > >
> > > 2) Has gstreamer support for aptX codec?
> > >
> > > These are two major codecs supported by bluetooth headsets.
> > >
> > > Answer is: NO
> > > (SBC is now provided in the "bad" set which is not pre-installed by
> > > gstreamer)
> >
> > Pre-installed doesn't mean much tbh. It is easy enough for packages to depend on it.
>
> Can pulseaudio build process enforce it?
>
> > > So gstreamer in current state is not very useful for pulseaudio.
> >
> > Writing a plugin around an existing decoder is pretty trivial. As is exposing libav/ffmpeg codecs.
> >
> > > Important are also MPEG1/2 (which are defined as optional by A2DP)
> > > and also AAC and LDAC which Jan wrote. But gstreamer has again only
> > > plugins in "bad" and "ugly" sets for them; nothing preinstalled by
> > > default.
> >
> > Again, -bad doesn't mean much in the current day (historically it was a staging ground). -ugly is for codecs that are known to be patent-encumbered (and how that's made available is up to packagers).
>
> Still more distributions does not compile ffmpeg with all codecs due to
> patents problems.
>
> So there is a high chance that we end up in situation that pulseaudio
> would not be able to encode audio into codec X (even pulseaudio declare
> that it support) and user would not be able to do nothing as his
> distribution does not enabled codec X at compile time. It could be
> really a legal problem or problem because packager forgot to enable it
> or because he think that it could be a problem and rather disabled it.
>
> The only option to prevent such situation is compile time check. Like
> now pulseaudio does not compile bluetooth support when sbc codec is not
> available. And this check should be there even after moving to
> ffmpeg/gstreamer/whatever. So is this check possible to write in
> autoconf for that ffmpeg/gstreamer/whatever?

I disagree here. Speaking here as an author of a patented codec (DTS)
implementation that is well supported by PulseAudio ;)

I was able to circumvent this kind of legal and technical issues by
providing a DTS encoder library (https://gitlab.com/patrakov/dcaenc)
and an ALSA plugin. The library implements stuff that is patented in
USA and thus cannot be included in USA-patent-free distributions.
However, the library is small and self-contained (not part of ffmpeg),
and users who don't care about patents can compile it anytime, and
they don't even have to replace any distribution-provided file by
installing this library. PulseAudio includes some profiles that
reference ALSA PCMs that are covered by the ALSA plugin that comes
with the library. No compile-time check needed - all the probing of
the form "can I open this PCM" is done at runtime in a generic way
that is not patched out by USA-patent-free distributions. Even the use
case when a product manufacturer has a DTS patent license which
instructs them to use a specific DTS implementation other than mine is
covered: that manufacturer can wrap that implementation in an ALSA
plugin that provides the same PCM names as mine, and PulseAudio will
still pick that up.

All of that is possible because there is a not-so-horrible extension
point in ALSA library that allows to write software that takes PCM
data in and delivers it to strange devices (like a DTS receiver on an
optical SPDIF link). What we need here is to find a proper equivalent
of this extension point in the Bluetooth land (e.g. take PCM in,
produce ready-to-send packets with all the needed metadata). If it
doesn't exist, create it and use it.

I fully understand the following technical difficulties:

1. It is unwise to use ffmpeg because it can be compiled improperly
and is difficult to replace in this case.
2. GStreamer can, in theory, wrap the needed libraries, and does
support third-party plugins, but does not properly encapsulate the
"give me packets ready to send via bluez" part.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov