[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth aptX codec

Arun Raghavan arun at arunraghavan.net
Mon Jul 30 11:34:55 UTC 2018

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018, at 12:42 PM, Pali Rohár wrote:
[...]
> I looked and there is absolutely nothing about A2DP codec parameter
> selections. So really does not help.

Okay, I feel like this conversation has been us talking past each other, so let me try to summarise what I'm saying more clearly:

1. The BlueZ modules will, possibly based on modargs, expose a set of supported codecs. Yes, that includes codec parameters, the knowledge of which the endpoint needs to have. If you have ideas for making this modular, I'm open to suggestions.

2. For the specific process of RTP payload/depayload and selection of a codec implementation for encode/decode, I believe we should construct and use a GStreamer bin, so as to not have to offload that choice to the system integrator rather than having to make that choice in PulseAudio. I feel strongly enough about not linking to specific codec implementations that any approach that does that is a NACK from me. I realise we already have this for SBC, but I do not want to add any more.

-- Arun