[pulseaudio-discuss] Set volume according to background noice with setting the highest limit

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Jun 15 12:13:33 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-06-14 at 10:41 +0200, Andrej Å imko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a possibility in pulseaudio to set volume dynamically according
> to background noice, but with setting the highest limit that will not be
> overstepped? I want to set volume higher if there is higher noice in the
> background and have volume lower if there is only little noice or quiet
> in the background.
>
> I didnt found how to achieve that, but maybe someone will have a idea.
>
> Thank you for any answer!

So you'd want to monitor the noise level through the computer's
microphone, and adjust the playback volume based on that? I'm not aware
of any existing solution (I didn't do any searching, though, there
could very well be something out there). This sounds like something
that doesn't really need any special support from pulseaudio, you just
need an application that does the monitoring and volume adjustment.

https://liberapay.com/tanuk
https://www.patreon.com/tanuk