[pulseaudio-discuss] [patch] purge autoload API

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Jun 18 08:46:01 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-06-18 at 11:30 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-06-13 at 21:55 +0100, jnqnfe at gmail.com wrote:
> > deprecated since 2009
>
> IMHO it doesn't matter when the API was deprecated. If some closed-
> source and now unmaintained (and hence unfixable) application was using
> the API in 2008, and someone somewhere is still using that application,
> we shouldn't remove the API without bumping the library major version.
> However, I still think this patch is fine, because I find it extremely
> unlikely that there's any application in use that still links to this
> API.
>
> Arun, Georg, any objections to applying this patch?

Actually, there are language bindings (at least pyglet for Python) that
use the API. I'm afraid removing the API completely breaks the bindings
even if there are no applications using the API. Based on this, I'm
against removing the API. It's not like it causes any significant
maintenance burden anyway.

https://liberapay.com/tanuk
https://www.patreon.com/tanuk