[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth aptX codec

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 11:02:04 UTC 2018

On Thursday 21 June 2018 05:45:39 Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2018, at 9:05 PM, Jan Alexander Steffens wrote:

> > > about

> > > GStreamer bin. That would allow us to be codec agnostic, and support any of
> > > the codecs that are supported by GStreamer (which includes those that
> > > ffmpeg provides).
> > >
> > > This does not sound like a good idea. The only two relevant bluetooth
> > > codecs for most people are SBC and aptX.
> > >

> > Don't forget AAC. I've seen this one a lot in devices meant for use with
> > iPhones, which apparently don't have aptX. GStreamer has a lot of encoders
> > for it so this shouldn't be a problem unless it's some strange AAC variant.
> >
> > There's also LDAC but I haven't seen it on a device yet.
>
> Right, there are multiple codecs that we can support, and we should not tie ourselves to a specific implementation. For this reason, and more generally, I'd like to have PulseAudio not have to deal with any codec implementations at all (nor even RTP, if we can help it), hence my preference to use something generic in the form of GStreamer.

This is a good idea to let external service to do codec-specific
functions... I agree that it simplify pulseaudio code and other things
(like proving new codec by external library -- if properly implemented),
but in bluetooth context we should look at questions:

1) Has gstreamer support for SBC codec?

2) Has gstreamer support for aptX codec?

These are two major codecs supported by bluetooth headsets.

Answer is: NO
(SBC is now provided in the "bad" set which is not pre-installed by
gstreamer)

So gstreamer in current state is not very useful for pulseaudio.

Important are also MPEG1/2 (which are defined as optional by A2DP)
and also AAC and LDAC which Jan wrote. But gstreamer has again only
plugins in "bad" and "ugly" sets for them; nothing preinstalled by
default.

To have working bluetooth support in pulseadio, pulseaudio needs to use
external library for encoding which *always* provides support for SBC.
And not only if user manually installs some special plugin for 3rd party
library. (And not only SBC, but also those other aptX, MPEG1/2, AAC and
LDAC codecs)

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com