[pulseaudio-discuss] Weak bass in stereo mode – possibility of virtual 2.1 sound profiles

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Nov 26 15:38:25 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-11-26 at 00:17 +0500, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> On 11/16/18 11:13 AM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> > > Sorry, I have to do it later. I have too much non-PulseAudio work to do :(
> >
> > No problem, I'll postpone reviewing the patch until you've submitted
> > the new version. From what I already saw, the general idea behind the
> > patch seems good.
> >

> Hello Tanu,
>
> thanks for your patience. I have tried to undo the half-baked LFE change
> today, but found two more bugs in my patch that I would rather fix
> before resubmitting it:
>
> 1. AUX input channels get sometimes routed to non-AUX output channels
> rather than being dropped. Fixing this right how.
>
> 2. Some inconsistencies if either input or output channel map contains
> duplicates. Cannot really fix, because I don't know what's expected.
>
> Could you please help with (2)? In particular, what would be the
> expected channel matrix in the following two cases?
>
> Case A:
>
> front-left, front-right, front-center ->
> front-left, front-right, front-center, front-center
>
> I would guess that we should generate two identical front-center output
> channels, both duplicating the front-center input channel with the
> coefficient being 1.0.
>
> Case B:
>
> front-left, front-right, front-left, front-right -> front-left, front-right
>
> Would it be OK if I drop the redundant input channels, i.e. use only the
> first copy of each channel name? Or should I average the redundant
> inputs, or take a sum?
>
> Is there any spec?

I'm not aware of any valid use cases for duplicated channels (except
mono, which can be interpreted as a channel without defined position),
so there's no spec and at least I don't have expectations of any
particular behaviour. Your suggestion for case A seems reasonable, and
for case B I think we should do whatever is easiest to implement.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk
https://liberapay.com/tanuk