[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with ASUS Xonar D2X & PulseAudio card detection.

Russell Treleaven rtreleaven at bunnykick.ca
Mon Oct 22 14:45:14 UTC 2018

make a safety copy of /etc/pulse/default.pa
edit the file to comment out the following lines like this

#load-module module-udev-detect
#load-module module-detect

add the following lines immediately following the ones you commented out

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:<your_card>,<sink_index>
sink_properties="your_sink"
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:<your_card>,<source_index>
source_properties="your_source"

You can discover the value for <your_card>, <sink_index> and <source_index>
via `aplay -l` and `arecord -l`

restart pulseaudio
`pulseaudio -k`

verify it worked
`pactl list sinks`
`pactl list sources`

Not a fix but it is a workaround

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 10/1/18 4:20 PM, Hakan Bayındır wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I'm using Debian Testing with KDE desktop, and having problem with
>> PulseAudio's sound card detection.
>>
>> The system I'm using has three sound sinks (or cards if you wish):
>> - nVidia GTX680's sound output over DisplayPort.
>> - Intel's on board HD audio.
>> - ASUS Xonar D2X on PCIe (CMedia CM8788) [Preferred & default card].
>>
>> All of the cards are well supported under Linux, ALSA and PulseAudio,
>> however PulseAudio is sometimes do not detecting my soundcard and revert
>> to one of the other cards as it pleases. The problem started with a
>> kernel update (I don't remember the exact version). What I've diagnosed
>> is as follows:
>> - Card is always operational. Present in lspci, initialized correctly
>> (D2X has hard relays as mute switches and I hear the distinctive CLACK
>> sound when the card is initialized).
>> - ALSA always detecting and calling the card settings from persistence
>> as it should, I verified with ALSA mixer.
>> - Deleting PulseAudio settings and restarting daemon generally has no
>> help.
>> - When card is not detected it's completely absent from PulseAudio's
>> configuration and configuration database.
>> - I sometimes need to shutdown and restart the PC two to three times to
>> get the sound card back.
>> - It's more likely occur if I log-on to my PC late (press the power
>> button, get a cup of tea, drink some, wander off and login).
>> - There's no terse/warning/error logs anywhere. Everything is working as
>> it should on paper, so I cannot debug the problem.
>>
>> Did anyone experience anything like this? I have the ability to debug
>> and patch the code if necessary, and if someone can at least show me the
>> right place for discussing this stuff I'd be grateful.
>>

> I'm having the same problem on Kubuntu 18.10, PulseAudio 12.2. `pactl list
> cards` does not list D2X but it is clearly present in `aplay -L` and
> `alsa-info` output.
>
> Were you able to resolve or debug the problem?

Sincerely,

Russell Treleaven
sip:rtreleaven at sip.bunnykick.ca;transport=tcp