[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with ASUS Xonar D2X & PulseAudio card detection.

Andrey Semashev andrey.semashev at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 22:51:33 UTC 2018

On 10/22/18 7:21 PM, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On 10/22/18 7:15 PM, Russell Treleaven wrote:
>>
>>     Only I do want the 5.1 analog output.
>>
>> Maybe your PCH card supports 5.1.
>
> Maybe it does, but I really want the D2X card to output the 5.1 signal.
> The integrated audio is also used in my setup, also analog.
>
> It used to work perfectly in Kubuntu 18.04 PulseAudio 11.1, so something
> was broken since then.

In case anyone else has this problem, I think I found the cause:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1799541/comments/20

In short, the timidity daemon grabbed ALSA PCM device before PulseAudio,
which caused it not being able to open the D2X device. To solve the
problem, disable or uninstall timidity and restart pulseaudio.