[pulseaudio-discuss] Usage question for pulseaudio on MacOS

Weston Thayer me at westonthayer.com
Tue Apr 9 17:07:35 UTC 2019

FWIW I was able to get this working fairly well. My current understanding
of the issue is that none of the system applications on MacOS are sending
their output to the pulseaudio client API (unlike Ubuntu, which seems to
send all output through pulseaudio).

So rather than writing my own MacOS application to grab output from the
microphone and send it to pulseaudio, I'm using parec and pacat:

parec -d <name of input device> --latency 1 | pacat --latency 1

That successfully creates a source output stream from the microphone and
plays it via the default sink (the --latency flag helps a lot, by default
there's a decent delay).

Combined with the SoundFlower audio kernel driver for MacOS, I'm able to
capture any sound sent to the default audio output.