[pulseaudio-discuss] Cannot start Pulse Audio when using ALSA plug-in as sound source

Krzysztof Cieniawski kcieniawski at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 07:29:02 UTC 2019

Maybe I will try to describe problem one more time to get everything
together.
1. I am developing ALSA plugin based on external IO plug-in SDK.
2. Plug-in work with ALSA but when I try to start it Pulse Audio with pcm
using this plug I get error:

I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)dlmisc.c: Cannot open shared library
/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_iopdm.so
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device temp: No such
device or address
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-source"
(argument: "device=temp"): initialization failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Module load failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

3. As Russel Treleaven suggested I added `hint` field in
`/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/iopdm.conf` file where I have configuration of
my plug-in and when I list pcm's with hints it shows up.
4. Command `pasuspender -- speaker-test --nloops=1 --test=wav --channels=2
--device=temp` is not working because there is no Pulse Audio daemon
working. It is because on Pulse Audio startup I get error from point 2.
5. Command ` speaker-test --nloops=1 --test=wav --channels=2 --device=temp`
works as expected.
6. I would like to use Pulse Audio on top of my ALSA device because I am
using Amazon Alexa which use Pulse Audio.

I am looking forward for any help!

Regards,

Krzysztof Cieniawski

pt., 9 sie 2019 o 16:51 Krzysztof Cieniawski <kcieniawski at gmail.com>