[pulseaudio-discuss] HDA HDMI audio PCM names

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Aug 28 12:49:56 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-08-27 at 17:39 +0300, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we are considering removing the backup-PCM logic from snd_hda_intel
> HDMI/DP audio driver (note: this is used for wide variety of HDA
> controllers, not just Intel ones). See mail thread on alsa-devel:
>
> https://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2019-August/154561.html
>
> In short, with DisplayPort-MST, additional monitors connected to a MST
> hub, and/or to monitor upstream DP ports, these would be routed to
> separate ALSA PCMs, e.g. PCM9 and PCM10, leaving the "standard" PCM
> numbers free for non-MST monitors.
>
> This is getting highly problematic, especially when we support HDMI audio
> with systems that have a DSP, and the PCM<->HDMI-audio-converter mapping
> can be essentially arbitrary. The proposal is to just expose N pieces
> of PCMs (N number of converters in hw, e.g. 3 with i915), and any
> connected monitor (MST or not), is roured to one these PCMs.
>
> Tanu added the ELD autodetect support in PA-12.x, and after that, HDA + PA
> works pretty nicely even without the backup PCMs, and a non-standard PCM
> device numbering for HDMI audio.
>
> Now, I'm writing here as some kernel devs have referred to Pulseaudio
> as the source for the requirement to map MST monitors to the
> backup/virtual PCMs. Can anyone of you recall what was this about?

I don't recall, in fact I don't even remember hearing about the "backup
PCM" concept before. As far as I can tell, PulseAudio imposes or has
imposed the following limitations:

 * PCMs can't be added and removed dynamically on a card. PulseAudio
doesn't have support for dynamic PCMs.

 * Previously HDMI jack detection required that specific PCM numbers
are used, but as you noted, we have autodetection for this now.

 * The "hdmi:x,y" PCM devices must exist in the alsa configuration,
bare "hw:x,z" won't be detected properly.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk
https://liberapay.com/tanuk