[pulseaudio-discuss] Problem: non-interactive pulseaudio ( headless )

Brian Bulkowski brian at bulkowski.org
Thu Aug 29 19:02:58 UTC 2019

Hey,

Not like people are jumping to help out.... but

There seems to be a .service file floating around the internet which
says the service type is "notify", which doesn't work. Getting to a more
normal form of service file seems to get past the auth problems I was
having.

The next step was to understand cookie files. The pulseaudio system file
says it can't read the cookie file in two known locations, even though
there are files there and an existing path. I've tried using the 'pulse'
user and 'pulse' group, although there are many paths to test.

Using the environment variable didn't seem to pick up an existing cookie
file. I wish there was some kind of message saying that the path was
ignored or something. Of course there are many possibilities of
misspelling or misunderstanding.

What I have noticed is there is a cookie file created by the pulseaudio
daemon on startup. However, it's created as rw only on the pulse _user_,
where it would be far nicer if the file was created 'r' on the pulse
group as well. That would allow a pretty sensible use of the group
system to determine which users could access that created cookie file.
However, if I have a cookie file, I will figure out a way to get the
over to the headless user I intend.

Any hints appreciated, otherwise I'll just keep posting my signposts
hoping it helps someone else.

-brian