[pulseaudio-discuss] Proposal for a new API and usage of Bluetooth HSP and HFP profiles on Linux

Arun Raghavan arun at arunraghavan.net
Wed Dec 4 15:15:23 UTC 2019

+Wim and George from PipeWire

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019, at 12:15 AM, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Monday 02 December 2019 19:01:11 Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > On Sun, 2019-12-01 at 19:57 +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I'm sending this email to relevant mailing lists and other people who
> > > could be interested in it. (I'm not subscribed to all of ML, so please
> > > CC me when replying).
> > >

> > > I would like to open a discussion about a completely new way of handling
> > > Bluetooth HSP and HFP profiles on Linux. These two profiles are the only
> > > standard way how to access microphone data from Bluetooth Headsets.
> > >

> > > Previously in bluez4, HFP profile was implemented by bluez daemon and
> > > telephony HFP functionality was provided by either dummy modem, ofono
> > > modem or by Nokia's CSD Maemo modem.
> > >
> > > In bluez5 version was modem code together with implementation of HFP
> > > profile removed. And let implementation of HSP and HFP profiles to
> > > external application.
> > >
> > > Currently HSP profile is implemented in pulseaudio daemon to handle
> > > microphone and Bluetooth speakers. HFP profile is not implemented yet.
> > >

> > > HSP and HFP profiles use AT modem commands, so its implementation needs
> > > to parse and generates AT commands, plus implement needed state machine
> > > for it.
> > >
> > > And now problem is that last version of HFP profile specification is too
> > > complicated, plus Bluetooth headsets vendors started to inventing and
> > > using of own custom extensions to HFP profile and AT commands.
> > >
> > > Main problem of this "external" implementation outside of bluez is that
> > > only one application can communicate with remote Bluetooth device. It
> > > is application which received needed socket from bluez.
> > >
> > > So in this design if audio daemon (pulseaudio) implements HFP profile
> > > for processing audio, and e.g. power supply application wants to
> > > retrieve battery level from Bluetooth device, it means that audio daemon
> > > needs to implement also battery related functionality.
> > >
> > > It does not make sense to force power supply daemon (upower) to
> > > implement audio routing/encoding/decoding or audio daemon (power supply)
> > > to force implementing battery related operations.
> > >

> > > For handle this problem I would like to propose a new way how to use and
> > > implement HSP and HFP profiles on Linux.
> > >
> > > Implement a new HSP/HFP daemon (I called it hsphfpd) which register HSP
> > > and HFP profiles in bluez and then exports functionality for all other
> > > specific applications via DBus API (API for audio, power supply, input
> > > layer, telephony functions, vendor extensions, etc...). So it would acts
> > > as proxy daemon between bluez and target applications (pulseaudio,
> > > upower, ofono, ...)
> > >
> > > This would simplify whole HFP usage as applications would not need to
> > > re-implement parsing and processing of AT commands and it would allow
> > > more applications to use HFP profile at one time. And also it means that
> > > audio software does not have to implement telephony stack or power
> > > supply operations.

> [...]

Broadly, I think this is a good thing to do. My main concern is having this be adequately maintained over a longer period of time.

The other thing to note is that in PipeWire, it is possible for external entities to implement the equivalent of a "sink" or "source" (it's just a node in PipeWire terminology), so in the long run, it might be good to have a single BT audio daemon that manages A2DP and HSP/HFP..

This would also have the benefit of moving codec dependencies out of PulseAudio (which I'll help mitigate in other ways within PulseAudio anyway).

Cheers,
Arun