[pulseaudio-discuss] Proposal for a new API and usage of Bluetooth HSP and HFP profiles on Linux

Denis Kenzior denkenz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 17:00:07 UTC 2019

Hi Pali,

On 12/16/19 3:15 AM, Pali Rohár wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Monday 16 December 2019 00:11:04 Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
>> Hi Pali,

>>> Hello, could someone from bluez developers comment this Tanu's point?
>>
>> I would have to say no, we are definitely not interested in yet
>> another daemon for AT parsing, we actually have too many of these
>> around, either in a form of Modem Manager, oFono, etc.
>
> Proposed hsphfpd daemon is not (only) for parsing AT commands, but for
> implementing logic around HSP and HFP profiles and export either native
> interfaces (linux uinput) or DBus interfaces for features provided by
> HSP and HFP specifications and also for current and future vendor
> extensions. And part of this HSP/HFP implementation is of course needed
> parsing and interpreting some of AT commands. Look into my design and
> API proposal. Current daemons which provides AT parsing (like ofono or
> modem manager) are not suitable for for whole HSP and HFP profiles with
> all those extensions (like all possible ways for reporting battery
> level), so for HFP is needed some of custom AT parser.

I'm not sure what logic around HSP you really care about.  It is just a
single button press in the end.

For HFP, oFono can already support all sorts of extensions.  See for
example how we handled Siri for HFP support in oFono here:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/network/ofono/ofono.git/tree/doc/siri-api.txt.
  Many of the extensions you talked about are also relevant for real
modems as well (like battery reporting, call volume, etc).  Some of
these APIs are already defined in fact.

Given the above, oFono upstream has no interest in adding or maintaining
support this new framework.

Regards,
-Denis