[pulseaudio-discuss] Per device volume control?

Joel Cornuz jcornuz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 02:51:50 UTC 2019

Hi Everyone,

I hope this is an appropriate place to ask for a general PA usage question -
my googleing efforts have proven fruitless :/

I am planning on using PA as part of an interpretation setup (simultaneous
language translation) for which I need two interpreters to share one audio
input (both mics are combined to broadcasting the target language) and one
audio output (both earphones play the same source language). Setting up and
combining sinks works well, no problem with that.

What I haven't been able to do, however, is to have the USB devices volume
control work on a per device basis: currently no matter which device's USB
volume is raised (or lowered), it affects the default / fallback volume. What
is required is that changing the volume on device A, only affects device A's
volume (same for device B). In short, I want both interpreters to have
individual control on the volume level of their USB device.

Is there any way to achieve that?

For testing purposes, and if that matter, I have used "el cheapo" ATR2USB
devices but I plan to use Jabra-Evolve-20 on the final project.

Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Joel